This toolkit serves to:
- Be a training guide for refugee resettlement staff to improve their understanding of how the child welfare system works, and how to access and assist clients in obtaining services.
- Provide a common vocabulary of child welfare terms, enabling refugee resettlement staff to make appropriate referrals for child welfare services.
- Dispel misconceptions about child welfare agencies and encourage stronger linkages between child welfare services and refugee resettlement agencies to utilize preventative techniques and ultimately keep refugee children and youth with their families, minimizing the need for child removal.
- Assist in the development of a network of services based on a common understanding of how and why the child welfare system works and increase partnerships between the resettlement system and child welfare; increase the responsiveness and cultural sensitivity to refugee children, youth and families, while building on their inherent strengths.
- Empower refugee resettlement staff to make referrals to child protective services as needed, recognizing the safety needs of refugee children and families.
Topic(s): Child and Youth Development, Family Strengthening
Subtopic(s): Child Welfare, Guardianship
Resource Type: Toolkit
Date: October 2, 2006
Target Audience(s): Service Provider
You must be logged in to download files. Login or Register