HUD-Subsidized Refugee Residency Requirements

« Return to search

Icon for Federal Housing Programs Resource Type

A frequent question from resettlement agencies is: Do refugees need to have a Social Security Card to be eligible for Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-subsidized Housing? The short answer is no; however, some subsidized housing providers are not aware that there are acceptable substitutes for a Social Security Card. This fact sheet will identify alternative documentation that is acceptable, define HUD procedures for verification and submission of that documentation, and explain to which programs these guidelines apply.

Topic(s): Housing
Subtopic(s): Federal Housing Programs
Resource Type: Tip Sheet
Date: October 18, 2006
Language(s): English
Target Audience(s): Service Provider
Author(s): Mercy Housing

You must be logged in to download files. Login or Register